Thursday, October 4, 2012

Queen Bee #2 - Miss October!

Well it is October already and it is my turn to host the Queen Bee #2 for the month.

Being only new back on the patchworking scene, I have chosen a relatively simple block in hot purples or lime greens with black homespun! The finished quilt will become (hopefully) a christmas present for my little sister, as the simple quilt I made her when I was back in High School (EEK - some 20 years ago now) has become  well worn and ready to be retired.

Before I go into the construction of the block - I just want to say a huge thankyou to the lovely and talented Jane Kelly who drafted the block for me and gave me some do and don't pointers about bee blocks.


Fabrics:-
Black Homespun
Hot (Mega Bright) Purples (tone on tone and patterns are perfect)
Lime (Bright) Greens (tone on tone and patterns are perfect)

Each block is to be either purple and black or lime green and black.


Construction:-

From the feature fabric (either the purple or green) cut a 3 1/2" square.


Add 1 1/2" black strips to the sides of the 3 1/2" square.



Then add the 1 1/2" black strips to the top and the bottom of the 3 1/2" square.


You should now have a feature square bordered in black - measuring 5 1/2" finished.

Now on to the remainder of the block. Add improv pieces to the bordered feature square so that the square is more towards the corner of the finished block rather then in the centre. 


Starting with the adding the side pieces......


then by adding the bottom.....


and then the top.


Trim the block to 11", with the bordered feature square more towards a corner rather then in the centre of the finished block.



Now that I have made these two blocks up, I am rather excited about putting this quilt together and can't wait to see the other blocks that the Bee members make.








No comments:

Post a Comment